The essay should be a minimum of 1,200 words. However, most students finish the project in about 2,000 words.
You’ll need to find at least one source for each artist from the internet, a library, or elsewhere. Be sure to use reputable sources when searching for information on your selected artists.
1. What’s the year of the artist’s birth (and, where applicable, death)?
2. Where was the artist born? Where did he or she create the majority of his or her work (if at a different location than this place of birth)?
3. What medium did the artist use? Did he or she use more than one main medium?
4. Which art movement did the artist contribute to? If he or she contributed to more than one movement, where did this artist make the greatest impact?
5. What are some of the artist’s most famous works of art? Choose one of these works. In what ways is the piece characteristic of the movement specified above? (Include an image of the chosen piece.)
6. What challenges, if any, did the artist face that may have affected his or her work? What was happening in the world at that time that influenced the artist’s work?
7.What’s innovative about the artist’s work for that time period?
As you read and research for this project, gather your sources’ information. Bookmark and save all URLs.
List all sources cited in your essay (including images). Begin your list on a new page after your conclusion paragraph. List sources alphabetically by author’s last name (or title if author is unknown). Capitalize the first word of the title plus all major words except articles and prepositions.