Therapeutic Listening Skills
• Concentrate on the speaker and the message.
• Keep distractions and interruptions to a minimum.
• Change the setting (environment) if necessary.
• Assess nonverbal communications and metacommunications.
• Listen objectively.
• Discover which words trigger emotional responses in
• Use eye contact and body language that is culturally
• Do not interrupt. Let the speaker finish delivering the
• Jot down notes if needed.
• Do not assume that you have understood another
• Clarify any message about which you are unsure.