1. Please choose ONE OF THE FOLLOWING to respond to initially:
- The American Dream means something different to each of the main characters in A Raisin in the Sun. Choose one character to discuss their dream and how it dream might conflict with another characters’ dreams and goals.
- The opening description of the setting and time notes that the play takes place “sometime between World War II and the present. While it was written in 1957 and performed on Broadway in 1959, are the themes and issues of the play still relevant today? If you think so, why do you feel the play is still relevant today?
- Consider some of the major themes in the play: poverty, wealth and opportunity; race relations; education; family; self-identity. Discuss what impact each of these themes has on one of the main characters in A Raisin in the Sun.
2. Your Personal Reaction to the Play
After you have discussed one of the above, share your personal reaction to the play. A full paragraph (at least 5 sentences) which honestly states your opinion regarding the play.
Share any lines, passages, or phrases, which either clearly illustrate the authors style, or expresses ideas you wish to remember or believe to be important. (Be sure to include Act/Scene designators.)