Learning Goal: I’m working on a history question and need a sample draft to help me learn.
In 400-500 words answer ONE of the prompts below. Be sure to post the word count at the bottom of the post and to reply to at least one other students post:
(a) What, according to James Madison in his Vices of the Political System of the United States, did the architects of the Articles of Confederation leave out concerning the power of the Congress to make law? Why is this oversight a problem?
(b) What, according to Madisons Vices, is the worst vice of the political system of the United States (that is, of all the vices listed in his “Vices”, which one does he say is the worst?)? What are the two main causes of this vice? Which cause is the more worrisome of the two causes? Why?
1. Your own post should not be one long paragraph. Break it into multiple paragraphs. Each paragraph should make one main point.
2. You must have at least 2 short, salient quotations from the assigned texts. But avoid over-quoting too. For the purposes of discussion, you answer should not be taken up by more than 20% quotation.
3. You must provide parenthetical references for every direct quotations and for any specific passages to which you refer.
4. Citations should from the text of the assigned reading. Do not cite, draw on (with or without citation), or otherwise utilize general internet sources like Wikipedia, History.com, SparkNotes, which are not academic or scholarly sources. For Discussions, especially, stick utilizing, referencing, and citing the assigned readings.
5. Avoid opining or speculating. Stick to answering the prompt directly and answering it from the text.
6. Avoid generalizing. Avoid broad statements. Make your points as specific and as precise as possible–especially when putting a point from the text in your own words. When putting points in the text in your own words, don’t strengthen or weaken the point in the text. Don’t broaden points made in the text.