Hurricanes, Tornadoes, and Monsoons in Weather and Climate
Discuss any one of the following and respond to at least two classmates’ posts according to the Discussion instructions above and the Discussion grading rubric.
1. How does a “sea breeze/ land breeze” form?
2. How do the monsoon seasons differ from the sea breeze/ land breeze?
3. Describe the characteristics of the monsoons.
4. Does the U.S. experience monsoons?
5. What defines a “desert”? (Is a desert a desert because it is so hot?) –
6. Based on the Ideal 3-Cell Atmospheric Circulation Model, where should you expect all deserts to be located?
7. Which is the largest desert in the world?
8. What is the driest location on Earth?
9. How does El Nio develop? How did El Nio get its name?
10. How does La Nia develop? How did La Nia get its name?
11. What is the “Southern Oscillation”?
12. What are some worldwide effects of El Nio/ Southern Oscillation (ENSO)?
13. What are the stages of development of a tropical cyclone?
14. What are the conditions like in the center (eye) of a tropical cyclone? Explain.
15. What factors help strengthen a developing tropical system? What factors help weaken a tropical system?
16. What is the “storm surge” of a tropical cyclone?
17. How is the structure and weather of a “tropical cyclone” similar to, and also different from that of a “mid-latitude cyclone”?