SPC 2608 Informative Speech and Outline Guidelines
Purpose: The goal of this speech is for you to deliver an informative speech that raises awareness and increases audience knowledge about an object, process, person, concept, policy, place, or event. This is a skill you can apply both in your coursework and once you enter the workplace.
Task: In this 4-6minute speech, you will select a topic and increase your audiences knowledge or raise awareness about that topic. Be sure not to include any persuasive elements in this speech. Use one of the organizational patterns detailed in the textbook to organize your speech. You will need to research to prepare and develop this speech. You should back up your thoughts with supporting material. Use the FIU Library resources to find credible sources for your speech. You should cite at least 3 sources using APA style both verbally in your speech and your outline. Two sources should be academic and one can be non-academic. An outline is required for this speech. Please use the Informative Speech Outline Template to write your outline. A visual aid, such as PowerPoint, Prezi, or physical object/s, is required for this speech as well. An audience of two adults is required for this speech.
A successful student will:
- Select a topic appropriate for your audience and speech situation.
- Use an appropriate organizational pattern.
- Include a fully developed introduction, main points, conclusion, transitions in your speech.
- Write a clear thesis.
- Cite the minimum number of sources properly using APA style, both verbally and in your outline.
- Use proper elements of vocal and physical delivery, such as avoiding vocal fillers, pausing between thoughts, making direct eye contact, and having strong posture, among others.
- Not go over or under time.
- Have an audience of two adults.
- Speak extemporaneously.
- Dress professionally.
- Use a visual aid appropriately.
- Be sure that the video of your speech shows you from your knees to your head.
- Upload your speech to the appropriate dropbox by the deadline.
- Upload your outline to the appropriate Turnitin link by the deadline.