It is important to understand what information systems are and why they are essential for running and managing a business. It is also important to understand the different systems that support different groups or levels of management. In addition, digital technology and the Internet play a key role in executing major business processes in the enterprise. Also, it is important to understand the ethical, social, and political issues raised by information systems.
The case studies below provide you with an opportunity to critically analyze events that are taking place in real-life businesses. This helps to develop your critical thinking and research skills as you research each of these scenarios. You will review each case study, and provide a thorough analysis of each that demonstrates critical thinking and application of the concepts like
Information Systems in Global Business Today
Global E-business and Collaboration
Chapter Case, Big Data and the Internet of Things Drive Precision Agriculture
Information Systems, Organizations, and Strategy
Ethical and Social Issues in Information Systems
Read the case study “UPS Competes Globally with Information Technology,” and write an analysis that addresses the following:
- How does UPS use information systems technology to achieve its strategic goals of being more efficient and customer oriented?
- What would happen if the automated package tracking system was not available? Discuss how globalization has “flattened” the world.
Read the case study “The City of Mississauga Goes Digital” and write an analysis that addresses the following:
- Describe the problems the City of Mississauga hoped to address using digital technology.
- What technologies did Mississauga employ for a solution? Describe each of these technologies and the role each played in a solution.
- What management, organization, and technology issues did the City of Mississauga have to address in developing a solution? How did the technologies in this case improve operations and decision making at the City of Mississauga?
Read the case study Shipping Wars, and write an analysis that addresses the following:
- Why is shipping so important for e-commerce? Explain your answer.
- Compare the shipping strategies of Amazon, FedEx, and UPS? How are they related to each companys business model?
- Will FedEx succeed in its push into ground shipping? Why, or why not?
Read the case study Your Smartphone: Big Brother’s Best Friend and write an analysis that addresses the following:
- Describe how new technology trends may cause ethical dilemmas.
- Discuss at least one ethical, social, and political issue raised by embedded cyber connections in smart devices.
- Discuss how big data analytics are being applied to all of the data generated by smart vehicles and other smart devices.
Submit all four case analyses in a single paper. When constructing your paper, do not use the question-and-answer format; instead, present a thorough and insightful analysis using strong arguments and evidence as you apply course concepts. Your final submission must be an APA formatted paper of at least five pages in length (not counting the title and reference pages). You are required to use a minimum of two peer-reviewed, academic sources that are no more than 5 years old (one may be your eTextbook) in each of the four analyses. All sources used, including the eTextbook, must have citations and references properly formatted in APA style
eTextbook used is
Management Information Systems
Kenneth C. Laudon; Jane P. Laudon