Assess the quality indicators that relate to public health interventions.
Analysis of Community Strengths, Weaknesses, Opportunities, and Threats (SWOT) to Health
In order to intervene effectively to address health issues and concerns and develop initiatives that will improve the health of the community you must analyze relevant data.
Community health nurses need to collaborate with other health professionals and community partners to understand the strengths and challenges that affect the health of vulnerable populations. To accomplish this, the nurse must have knowledge of the health status of the defined aggregates. This knowledge can be obtained by means of a SWOT analysis.
Using the communitys profile and characteristics as well as epidemiologic data that influences and defines the health of the population you will identify:
- Strengths of the community related to the publics health
- Weaknesses in the community that can be barriers or deficiencies affecting access and delivery of care
- Opportunities for improvement
- Threats to health
Once you have analyzed data related to key health indicators in your community. Using the worksheet provided, you will address the four elements of the SWOT (S= Strengths; W= Weaknesses; O= Opportunities; and T= Threats) analysis. You will meet the criteria listed below.
- Identify three strengths of the community related to the publics health.
- Identify three weaknesses in the community that can be barriers to access and delivery of health care.
- Identify three opportunities for improvement.
- Identify three threats to health.
Your paper should include an introductory paragraph and one concluding paragraph that provides a succinct summary of the health of the community based your analysis.
Please also use in-text citations and site ALL your information used.
NOTE: Use the SWOT Analysis Worksheet located in Course Resources for this Assignment.
Use principles of sound reasoning, such as identifying the issues, formulating inferences, determining conclusions, and assessing implications.
Submit your Assignment to the Assignment Dropbox before midnight on the last day of the unit.
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). (2017). National Center for Health Statistics.
County Health Rankings. (2017). How healthy is your community?
The Kaiser Family Foundation. (2017). State health facts.
U.S. Census Bureau. (2017). American fact finder.
Minimum Submission Requirements
- This Assessment should be constructed on the worksheet provided and saved as a Microsoft Word document.
- Respond to the identified areas in a thorough manner, providing specific examples of concepts, topics, definitions, and other elements asked for in the questions. Your worksheet should be highly organized, logical, and focused.
- Your worksheet must be written in Standard English and demonstrate exceptional content, organization, style, and grammar and mechanics.
- Your worksheet should provide a clearly established and sustained viewpoint and purpose.
- Your worksheet should be well ordered, logical and unified, as well as original and insightful.
- A separate page at the end of your worksheet should contain a list of at least three references, in APA format. Use your textbook, the Library, and the internet for research.
- Be sure to cite both in-text and reference list citations where appropriate and reference all sources. Your sources and content should follow proper APA citation style. Review the APA formatting and citation style found in the Writing Center. The Writing Center can be found within the Academic Support Center under Academic Tools in the left navigation of your course.
If work submitted for this competency assessment does not meet the minimum submission requirements, it will be returned without being scored.
Plagiarism is an act of academic dishonesty. It violates the University Honor Code, and the offense is subject to disciplinary action. You are expected to be the sole author of your work. Use of another person’s work or ideas must be accompanied by specific citations and references. Whether the action is intentional or not, it still constitutes plagiarism.