- What cultural and/or social phenomenon was most striking to you in the reading? Why or why not?
- Was this phenomenon something new or something you had already encountered in your study of race/ethnicity, history, socialization, power, and society? If so, how? If not, where had you already encountered this?
Examine (from an academic perspective):
- How does this experience enhance your knowledge of a specific reading, theory, or concept? Does it challenge or reinforce your prior understanding?
o Hint: How might the reading relate to class discussion from chapters 3, 5, and 12, etc.?
- Does it relate to topics in other courses or experiences you have had? How so?
- What do you disagree with? Be sure to provide counterpoints.
Examine (from a personal experience):
- How did this phenomenon make you feel? How did you react to it?
- What assumptions or expectations did you bring to the situation? To what extent did they prove true? If they did not prove true, why was there a discrepancy?
- How have past experiences influenced the manner in which you responded?
- Did your observations of this phenomenon reveal any of your own attitudes or biases?
Articulating your Learning:
- What did you learn? How did you learn it? Why does this learning matter and how important is it? How will it affect the way you understand and interpret society and culture in the future?